Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Too Much of the Same

Someone once said,” familiarity brings about problems”. I have always been adamantly against this though; for the need to want to be around people like me just made sense and was the most practical to me. I mean really who wants to be around a bunch of people to whom one is completely different from with no real commonality except we are human and share earth together.

But life… oh life has taught me differently, life has taught me that there really can be too much of a good thing especially when it is the same thing. I have found that what is mistaken within this is idea about life is that there is no voice of reason. There is no voice of reason because everyone is doing the same thing with the same kind of like minded people.  Everyone in this familiar group is always right because to admit a wrong is both collective and personal and let’s face it - no one wants to be wrong so in this way they are all wrong and because they are wrong as a group to them it looks a lot like right.

So the moral of this story is that I now mix it up, and I do so on purpose. Life is about learning and it’s really hard to learn new things when you have had the same kinds of teachers. Having a variety of friends, co-workers, and loved ones with an assortment of ideas on and about life can teach us volumes not only about ourselves but also the rest of the world in which we live. I am not talking about changing your ideas but learning about how they got there to begin with by learning from other people.


No comments: